DIY Minty Lip Balm! This is my favorite! Mainly because I LOVE mint flavor and it takes minutes to make. Trial and error will get you your perfect recipe, but this is rather easy.
What You Need:
- 1 part Beeswax. Beeswax bars run about $1 per bar.
- 10 drops of Peppermint oil (Use a type that can be digested, like the Young Living Brand. Follow label precautions, Peppermint can be lethal in large doses and to babies. It burns straight on the lips without dilution.)
- 1 part Coconut Oil. You can buy at Walmart. Note: I used LouAna for this (since it’s odorless), but I am aware that it is fractionated and possibly striped of some of the natural goodness that cold pressed virgin coconut oil possess.
- 1/2 part Shea Butter
- Optional: Stevia liquid for sugar flavor
- Vitamin E Oil (1/2 teaspoon). Adding the Vitamin E makes all the difference. S-o-f-t lips!
- Small Sauce Pan
- Pyrex glass measuring cup
1 part Beeswax, 1 part Coconut oil and 1/2 part shea . Melt in a double boiler*.
*Note: A Double Boiler is when you put water in a small pot then add a glass Pyrex cup. Put the ingredients inside the Pyrex. They boil without touching the water.
When melted, carefully remove the cup out of the sauce pan and add a few drops of Stevia for taste. Add the Vitamin E and 10 drops of Peppermint Oil. Swirl around and immediately pour into little tins. It cools in 3 minutes. Depending on the weather it may be harder or softer.
There are other ingredients you could add to spice it up. Including:
– Castor Oil (Makes it shine).
– Piece of Crayon (which is Paraffin wax) or tip of Lipstick (For color). Note: Too much crayon and it makes the balm matte and hard.